If you or a loved one were injured in a motor vehicle accident, it is best if you work with a personal injury attorney and law firm with extensive experience in incidents involving the same type of vehicle. Our Springfield other motor vehicle accident lawyers have spent years representing individuals injured in collisions involving all types of vehicles, causes, and injuries.
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., we have the knowledge, experience, and skills you need to pursue appropriate compensation. Contact us through our online contact form or call (217) 528-9955 to schedule a free consultation.
I was involved in an accident back in February I retained their services. I was immediately helped professionally by their staff setup for physical therapy. They handled all of my paperwork & correspondence between the insurance company. In as little…
Awesome! Everyone I spoke to at the office was very helpful and my phone calls were returned promptly. I was a pedestrian in a hit and run downtown in August 2018 and within 90 days, Staver Law Group was able…
Staver Law Group did an excellent job with handling my injury case! I sustained minor injuries from an automotive accident. I walked away with about $16,000 after the firm took their share of the $25,000 total settlement. I have no…
What Are Motor Vehicle Accidents?
You may wonder what motor vehicle accidents are. Do they differ from car crashes? The answer is yes and no. Motor vehicle accidents involve single- and multi-vehicle incidents with any type of motorized vehicle, from your typical family sedan to freight trains. They also may involve vehicles like boats, airplanes, ATVs, RVs, and farming equipment.
The reason we separate other motor vehicle accidents from typical car and truck crashes is that depending on the type of vehicle, different areas of law are involved. How we investigate and determine negligence in a boating accident is not the same as how we analyze a plane crash. Additionally, how we prove fault in a crash with a school bus in Springfield is different than a collision involving a tractor on narrow country roads.
To learn more about the law surrounding your type of accident, do not hesitate to call our Springfield other vehicle accident lawyers.
Types of Motor Vehicle Accidents We Handle
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., we offer experienced and comprehensive vehicle accident representation. Our attorneys have decades of collective experience, and we have handled everything from the most common car crashes to the most unique motor vehicle collisions. Contact our Springfield motor vehicle accident attorneys right away if you were injured or lost a relative in a:
- Car Accident
- Truck Accident
- Commercial Vehicle Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Aviation Accident
- Boating Accident
- All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Accident
- Recreation Vehicle (RV) Accident
- School Bus Accident
- Public Transportation Accident
- Train Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
Springfield Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics
In 2016, Sangamon County, Illinois experienced 5,483 accidents involving 10,040 vehicles, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation Division of Traffic Safety’s County Summary Crash Report, January 2016 through December 2016.
The leading type of crash during this timeframe was rear-end accidents (1,506). The second most common accident was turning (839), followed by angle accidents (767), fixed object accidents (697), parked motor vehicle accidents (482), sideswipe same direction accidents (421), and animal accidents (368). There were 79 overturned vehicle accidents, 50 head-on crashes, and 48 sideswipe accidents in the opposite direction. Additionally, there were 46 accidents with pedalcyclists (bicycles), 52 accidents with pedestrians, and two accidents with trains.
There were 1,286 crashes that caused 1,859 people injuries and 19 fatal accidents that led to 20 deaths.
The type and number of vehicles involved included:
- 6,208 passenger vehicles
- 1,407 SUVs
- 1,161 pickup trucks
- 587 van or mini-vans
- 139 tractors with semi-trailers
- 83 single-unit trucks
- 63 motorcycles
- 38 buses carrying over 15 passengers
- 16 buses carrying up to 15 passengers
- 12 other vehicles with trailers
- 7 farm equipment
- 7 motorized cycles
- 2 ATVs
- 1 snowmobile
If you were injured or lost a loved one in an accident in Springfield or Sangamon County, call our Springfield other motor vehicle accident lawyers for help today.
What to Do After a Vehicle Accident
No matter what type of vehicle you or the negligent party were in at the time of the collision, you need to know what to do immediately following a crash. Over the years, we have found the best way to respond involves:
- Obtaining medical care as soon as possible. Before you try to get out of your vehicle, pick yourself up off the ground, or otherwise move, consider whether you are injured. If you are hurt, call 911 or call for help. Remain still until the paramedics arrive. If you do not believe you are seriously injured, do not forgo an exam and treatment. See your physician as soon as possible and tell them you were in a vehicle accident.
- Get to a safe place. Following a collision, you need to always put your safety first. The safest thing to do may be to remain where you are, particularly if you appear to be seriously injured. But if you can move, make sure you are out of the way of traffic or other hazards.
- Help other crash victims. If you are able to, check on others at the scene. Call 911 and provide what first aid you can.
- Document the scene. Use your phone—or a companion or a witness’s phone—to take plenty of photos and videos of the scene. Document the damage to the vehicle from various angles and distances. Also record surrounding property damage, marks on the road or ground, and your own injuries.
- Exchange information. When possible, obtain the names, contact information, and insurance information of any other party involved in the collision. Ask for witnesses’ names and contact information too. Your Springfield other motor vehicle accident lawyer may contact the witnesses for statements to support your insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Never apologize or admit you were at fault: You might think you were in the wrong and caused the crash. In which case, you may want to apologize or try to smooth things over, You should not do this. Until you and your attorney have all the facts, you do not know why the accident happened. Even if you were partly responsible, an apology immediately after the crash could hurt your claim and reduce the compensation you rightly deserve for your injuries.
- Notify your insurer: If you expect to use your own insurance policy after an accident, you need to notify your insurance company of the collision as soon as possible.
- Call a Lawyer: Following any type of motor vehicle crash in Springfield, IL, we recommend you contact a highly experienced personal injury and wrongful death law firm like Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C.
Common Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Some of the leading causes of motor vehicle accidents in Illinois include:
- Aggressive Driving
- Reckless Driving
- Fatigue or Drowsy Driving
- Operating a Vehicle Under the Influence of Alcohol, Drugs, or a Combination
Compensation After a Motor Vehicle Accident
When you are injured in a motor vehicle accident that was the result of another person’s careless, reckless, or malicious conduct, you may have the right to pursue compensation. Following most vehicle crashes, injured parties seek compensation through insurance claims and resolve their claims with a settlement. This method is most effective when the at-fault party has an appropriate insurance policy with a high policy limit.
If the negligent party lacks insurance or the policy limit is less than your injuries, then you may need to pursue compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. Your Springfield other vehicle accident attorney may also advise you to file a lawsuit if your insurance claim is wrongfully denied or if the insurer refuses to negotiate a settlement in good faith.
When it is necessary to pursue motor vehicle accident compensation through litigation, it is essential you work with a highly experienced legal team. At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., we are prepared to be aggressive during the discovery process. We will obtain and analyze every possible piece of evidence to establish the other party’s fault and liability. We also will be thorough in proving the type and extent of your physical, psychological, and financial injuries in order to pursue the maximum amount of compensation possible. Ultimately, the judge or jury will be responsible for determining whether the other party was at fault, and if so, how much compensation you should receive.
Whether we focus on an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit, our attorneys will fight for you to receive full and fair compensation for:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Property Damage
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Loss of Normal Life or Enjoyment of Life
Fatal Motor Vehicle Accident Claims
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., we routinely handle fatal motor vehicle accident insurance claims and lawsuits. If you recently lost a parent, spouse, child, or another relative you financially depended on in a crash, you should contact us right away. When another party is at fault for that crash, you and your family may have the right to pursue compensation through an Illinois wrongful death claim.
Through a wrongful death claim, we will work hard for you to obtain the maximum compensation for your loss, including compensation for:
- Funeral Expenses
- Medical Expenses
- Loss of Economic Support
- Loss of Household Services
- Loss of Companionship
- Loss of Consortium
- Grief and Mental Suffering
Contact Our Springfield Other Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers Today
Were you injured in a motor vehicle accident in Springfield? Or was your loved one killed unexpectedly in a crash? Now is the time to contact an attorney. You are likely facing medical bills or funeral and burial expenses you were unprepared for. The financial pressure after a collision can be immense, and you may worry that the accident will deplete your savings. The best way to avoid this outcome is to pursue compensation through an insurance claim or litigation. However, it may not be wise to take the insurance or legal process on yourself when you have so much else on your plate.
By working with a Springfield other vehicle accident lawyer, you gain an advocate who knows the laws, your rights, and your options. You have someone who can and will fight hard on your behalf. Our attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. will vigorously protect your rights and promote your best interests during a motor vehicle accident claim. Our top priority will be obtaining you full and fair compensation for your injuries or loss.
At Staver, we have the awards that matter to you.
The Nation’s Top One Percent
The NADC is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence.
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The premier trial lawyers from each state who meet a stringent criteria of success.
Nation’s Premier Top Ten Attorney
A prestigious award, recognizing the nation’s top 1% of personal injury attorneys.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Limited to the best personal injury lawyers with million and multi-million dollar results.
Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
The gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing legal ability and ethical standards.
If you’ve been hurt, it can be hard to know where to start. We begin every case with a free, no-risk evaluation. We’ll discuss your situation, answer your questions, and determine what comes next. Act now and get the recovery you deserve.
P: 217-528-9955Or fill out our online form