It’s important to have skilled legal counsel if you have suffered through one of these terrible collisions. You have the right to compensation, but the law and details surrounding your case can be complex and confusing for anyone. Furthermore, the trucking company and their insurance providers will use their extensive means in order to reduce any liability they may have in your accident. Having an experienced Springfield truck accident lawyer will help make sure that you can recover the financial damages you need.
Do not delay in calling a personal injury lawyer in Springfield to discuss your options for recovery. Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. is not only experienced in personal injury recovery, but we have years of experience investigating truck accidents and helping our clients through every step of this difficult process. To speak with one of our Springfield trucking accident lawyers today, use our online contact form or call our office at (217) 528-9955.
Awesome! Everyone I spoke to at the office was very helpful and my phone calls were returned promptly. I was a pedestrian in a hit and run downtown in August 2018 and within 90 days, Staver Law Group was able…
Staver Law Group did an excellent job with handling my injury case! I sustained minor injuries from an automotive accident. I walked away with about $16,000 after the firm took their share of the $25,000 total settlement. I have no…
Truck Accidents Throughout Springfield, IL
Springfield roads and highways see a particularly high density of large trucks every day. Central Illinois has numerous large highways that are used by millions of people every month who are transporting cargo across the United States. Additionally, many trucks can be found in town as well as on rural roads throughout Illinois. These vehicles are essential to the agricultural, manufacturing, and recreational industries. The Illinois Department of Transportation reports that there are about 19,000 truck accidents in our state every year. Truck driver accident statistics show that about one in eight fatal motor vehicle accidents in Illinois involves a truck.
Serious and even fatal truck accidents are common throughout our area. Our Springfield truck crash lawyers have investigated many of these terrible wrecks as we have worked to recover the compensation that our clients need to recover.
Locations where truck accidents frequently occur in the Springfield area include:
- At busy intersections – Large streets can have chaotic traffic that includes vehicles of all sizes. Truck collisions are common in Springfield on Dirksen Pkwy and Veterans Pkwy.
- Accessing farm and industrial zones – Trucks must use small roads when accessing many factories, farms, and grain storage facilities. Sangamon County and the surrounding area see many accidents caused by truck drivers negligently using small roadways.
- On the Interstate – Interstates 72 and 55 host many trucks driving alongside smaller vehicles. Careless truck drivers often fail to notice cars when they are turning, making a lane change, or accessing an off ramp.
Common Causes Of Truck Accident
There are many different scenarios where an innocent victim can be badly injured or even killed by a large truck. You can be caught off guard when walking, riding in a car, or even driving responsibly. A truck that loses control can cause significant devastation. These accidents often result in numerous people being seriously hurt or even killed. Your Springfield truck accident lawyer must understand how to investigate your accident and determine its cause. Building a strong case against the responsible party can allow for a successful settlement offer where you receive the financial help you need without having to go to trial. Of the many different causes of truck accidents that we have seen, some of the most common include:
- Distracted drivers – Truck drivers have many distractions that can take their attention off the road. This includes their mobile phones, passengers, maps, and record keeping.
- Intoxicated driving – There are many cases where truck drivers cause terrible accidents due to their use of drugs, alcohol, or medication. An intoxicated driver can lose the ability to react to dangers within a timely fashion.
- Improperly trained drivers – Large trucks require additional training since properly driving them requires skills and knowledge that are not needed for ordinary cars. A trucking company must make sure that its drivers have the licenses and skills needed to safely take to the roads.
- Poor vehicle maintenance – A vehicle that is not properly maintained can cause a terrible accident. Truck drivers and trucking companies must make sure that their complex and large vehicles are road worthy.
- Improper loading – An improperly loaded truck can pose a threat to tip over or drop heavy cargo on the roadway. Safely loading a truck can be the responsibility of the truck driver, owner, or a third party.
- Driver fatigue – Truckers are often required to drive long hours over many days. An exhausted driver can cause a terrible accident by falling asleep at the wheel.
Who Holds Negligence In A Truck Accident?
Truck accidents in Illinois bring about terrible injuries and harm to their victims. The physical damage that you sustain can require extended medical attention, and many injured people never fully recover. Illinois law allows you to seek financial compensation from the negligent party. This requires demonstrating how the other person failed to act reasonably to prevent unnecessary harm from occurring to you or others. Furthermore, it must be shown how the other party’s negligence directly resulted in your injuries. An experienced Springfield truck accident attorney will understand how to show that you deserve compensation after sustaining terrible harm through no fault of your own.
Our legal team is not only experienced in Illinois personal injury law, but we have an extensive understanding of how to investigate a large truck accident on behalf of our clients. These cases are complex since significant amounts of vehicle and driver data must be reviewed. Furthermore, the numerous parties involved might not be helpful in your claim for damages. The responsible parties can include one or several of the following:
- The driver – A truck driver must make sure to act responsibly while driving on a highway or road. In addition to not speeding or being intoxicated, drivers must make sure that they and not distracted or behind the wheel when they should be resting.
- A trucking company – Trucking companies hire drivers to transport cargo on vehicles that they might own. The companies can be responsible for your injuries if they failed to make sure that a driver was qualified, or that a vehicle was safe to use.
- Third parties – Many other people come into contact with a truck, and their negligent behavior can cause an accident. This includes loaders who improperly place cargo on a truck or maintenance crews who fail to keep the vehicle in a safe condition.
Truck Accident Compensation That You Can Recover
Seeking compensation from truck accidents is different than accidents that only involve passenger vehicles. Truck companies often have enormous resources, and their insurance providers and attorneys fight hard against having to pay damages. Furthermore, the trucking industry is heavily regulated by both Illinois and federal laws. This can add complexity to your case. For example, your Springfield truck accident lawyer will have to understand how trucking companies must keep their maintenance and driving history records according to law. Make sure that you have a lawyer who is experienced in recovering damages for truck accident victims.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) sets many regulations for trucks in the United States. One concern is a truck driver or company’s ability to pay compensation if their careless actions cause harm to others. Fortunately, this has resulted in a mandate for trucks to have higher minimum insurance coverage than other vehicles on the road. These rates vary by vehicle, but every truck over 10,000 pounds must have at least $750,000 in insurance coverage for its injury victims. Additionally, a truck with hazardous cargo must have at least $1,000,000 in coverage, and a passenger carrier must have $5,000,000 coverage if their vehicles seat more than 15 people.
With the help of a knowledgeable lawyer, you can recover financial compensation for the following:
- Medical bills – Your current and future medical bills can be significant after a bad accident. You will possibly need numerous surgeries as well as physical therapy.
- Lost wages – Compensation can be recovered to make up for lost income caused by your accident. You can also seek damages for lost future income that cannot be realized due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering – Pain and emotional distress can have a great impact on your life. You have the right to seek financial damages for these things after being in an accident caused by someone else.
- Wrongful death compensation – The survivors of a person killed in a truck accident can seek damages from the responsible party. This includes compensation for funeral costs, lost inheritance, and grief and sorrow.
Steps After A Serious Truck Accident
Truck accident scenes are always dangerous areas immediately after the collision. You might be badly injured, and there can be a lot of dangerous debris all around you. Many Springfield truck accidents happen on busy streets where traffic may not slow down, or in rural areas where help can be far away. Every accident is different, and a skilled and compassionate truck accident lawyer would recommend you seek safety and medical attention as soon as possible. Call 911 if you can, and wait for emergency medical help. Following this, steps to take after your truck crash include:
- Speaking with law enforcement – Give a full report to police responding to your accident. Your lawyer can help you do this if you cannot immediately do so due to your injuries.
- Do not accept any payment or sign anything – The insurance companies involved may try to get you to agree to a low settlement offer in hopes that you go away quickly. Speak to an experienced truck accident lawyer first.
- Provide your information to your lawyer – Working closely with your lawyer can help make sure that you and your family recover all the damages you deserve. Make sure your lawyer has a list of witnesses as well as a timeline of events as you remember them.
- Keep your doctor informed – Make sure your medical professionals understand how you were injured. Inquire as to how your truck accident injuries may affect your life over the years going forward.
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Can Help You
Truck accidents injure thousands of people in Illinois every year. These wrecks happen frequently on roads and highways in the Springfield area. Your injuries can be severe, and you may not know how to proceed in recovering compensation from the responsible party. You need a Springfield truck accident lawyer who understands the complexity of truck accident investigations and who knows how to recover damages for victims. Do not delay in calling for legal help. Your case can require extensive evidence such as witness reports, data records, and expert testimony. Given our state’s strict statute of limitations for recovering damaging for personal injury, you should call your lawyer as soon as possible.
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have represented many clients who have had their lives turned upside down by horrific accidents. We know how important compensation is for you as you seek to get your life back on track.
To speak with one of our knowledgeable truck accident lawyers, call us today at (217) 528-9955 or use our online contact form.
At Staver, we have the awards that matter to you.
The Nation’s Top One Percent
The NADC is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence.
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The premier trial lawyers from each state who meet a stringent criteria of success.
Nation’s Premier Top Ten Attorney
A prestigious award, recognizing the nation’s top 1% of personal injury attorneys.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Limited to the best personal injury lawyers with million and multi-million dollar results.
Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
The gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing legal ability and ethical standards.
$0.00 Consultation – Available 24/7
If you’ve been hurt, it can be hard to know where to start. We begin every case with a free, no-risk evaluation. We’ll discuss your situation, answer your questions, and determine what comes next. Act now and get the recovery you deserve.
E: firstname.lastname@example.orgOr fill out our online form
"*" indicates required fields