These platforms allow adults with a driver’s license, auto insurance, and a clean record to become personal drivers. They can set their schedules, work as much or as little as they want, and provide for themselves and their families with a great deal of freedom. However, Uber drivers are no more skilled than any other driver. They do not have any additional training and are involved in accidents like any other car, truck, van, and SUV. Unfortunately, Uber crashes lead to a lot of questions for the drivers and passengers, including whether Uber is liable for accidents and whether you can sue Uber for an accident.
If you were injured in an Uber crash that was another person’s fault, whether you were an Uber driver, Uber passenger, or in another vehicle, you should contact a Springfield Uber car accident lawyer. A car accident attorney will thoroughly investigate the crash, determine who was at fault, and identify whose auto insurance policy is liable for compensation you for your injuries. Depending on the circumstances, you may have a claim against Uber’s insurance or need to file a lawsuit.
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., we are highly experienced in navigating complex Uber accident claims and, when necessary, filing Uber lawsuits over accidents. Contact us through our online form or call (217) 528-9955 to schedule a free consultation about your Uber accident.
I was involved in an accident back in February I retained their services. I was immediately helped professionally by their staff setup for physical therapy. They handled all of my paperwork & correspondence between the insurance company. In as little…
After dealing with another law firm that never returned calls or emails and made me feel like I was a bother, I was referred to Staver by a co-worker that had a good experience with them. From my first call…
Awesome! Everyone I spoke to at the office was very helpful and my phone calls were returned promptly. I was a pedestrian in a hit and run downtown in August 2018 and within 90 days, Staver Law Group was able…
I can not say enough good things about Staver and specifically, Patrick. Not only did they have great communication but they handled EVERYTHING including the negotiations with Blue Cross Blue Shield once I received my settlement. They were realistic and…
Staver Law Group did an excellent job with handling my injury case! I sustained minor injuries from an automotive accident. I walked away with about $16,000 after the firm took their share of the $25,000 total settlement. I have no…
Simply amazing. First time dealing with something like this and I couldn’t have asked for anything better. Everyone I spoke to was very kind and genuine. My career requires me being out of town a lot but they were very…
I would like to thank everyone at Staver, I got fast and more than sufficient results without all the hassle and I heard a lot of other people complain about how they had to keep calling there law group and…
I strongly recommend the Staver law team. I had never needed this service before and since day one the team kept me in great hands like trusting your most trusted family member. Explained everything in my terms and My case…
Excellent service & highly recommended. They are very professional. Very great experience.
The service, guidance, and results Patrick Gill of Staver Law offered was of the highest quality. He acted not only as our advocate and leader through life altering events, but as a partner in our circumstance. His commitment, knowledge, and…
How to Handle a Rideshare Accident
What you should do after an Uber car accident is similar to what you would do after any collision.
- Get medical help: If you believe you are seriously injured in a crash, do not try to move unless your immediate situation is dangerous. Call 911 on your phone or call for help. If you are OK to move, get to a safe place and wait for emergency responders to arrive. You may decline a trip to the emergency room, however, you should see a doctor for a full exam as soon as possible. Make sure to tell your doctor you were in a car crash.
- Call the police: Rideshare accidents that lead to property damage and/or injuries should be reported to the police.
- Exchange information: Whether you were a driver or a passenger in the Uber or another vehicle, you should obtain the other driver’s information and provide your own. As a passenger injured in a rideshare accident, get both driver’s names, personal information, and auto insurance information.
- Document the crash: If you have a working phone, take photos and videos of the crash. Be sure to also document any surrounding property damage or marks on the ground.
- Notify your insurance: If you were one of the drivers involved in the rideshare crash, notify your insurance carrier(s) right away.
- Call our Springfield Uber car accident lawyers: Whatever your status in an Uber or other rideshare crash, you should talk with an experienced attorney about your rights and legal options. When you were not at fault, the negligent party should be held responsible for your injuries.
Common Causes of Rideshare Accidents
Uber and Lyft drivers are not specially trained for their positions. Anyone who is at least 21 years old, has had their license one year (or three years if they are under 23 years old), has a four-door vehicle fewer than 10 years old can driver for Uber, and has a clean driving record can sign up to work with Uber. Those who drive for Uber are at risk for causing or being hurt in a crash like any other person driving their own vehicle. Some of the most common causes of Uber accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving/fatigue
- Reckless driving
- Aggressive driving
- Failing to abide by traffic signs and signals
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Driving while impaired by drugs and/or alcohol
- Failure to maintain the vehicle
- Work Zones
- Road hazards
- Drivers over 65
In some situations, one could argue an Uber driver is more at risk for a crash because they may pay a great deal of attention to the GPS or Uber Platform on their phone while driving. They may be in a hurry to drop off their passenger and accept the next ride. Or, they may be driving while drowsy because they are working long or odd hours. Distraction, speeding, and fatigue are serious problems for rideshare drivers.
An Overview of Uber and its Insurance Coverage
Uber provides auto insurance. However, the type of auto insurance and the polity limit vary depending on the circumstances:
- Driving for Personal Use: When a driver is not signed onto the Uber Platform to work and is driving their vehicle for personal reasons, then Uber’s insurance does not cover any accidents.
- Waiting for a Ride Request: When an Uber driver is signed in to work and is waiting on a ride request, Uber’s insurance is limited to third-party liability coverage. If the driver were to cause a crash, the third-party coverage pays for the property damage and bodily injuries of anyone other than the driver up to $50,000 per person or $100,000 per accident for injuries and up to $25,000 per accident for property damage. (The policy limits may vary based on state requirements.) When an Uber driver does not have a passenger in the vehicle, it can be difficult to tell whether they had accepted a ride request or not. You should call a Springfield Uber car accident lawyer to investigate and determine the Uber driver’s status and insurance coverage.
- After Accepting a Ride Request and During the Trip: Uber offers the most comprehensive insurance coverage from the time the driver accepts a ride request to the time the driver drops off the passengers. During this time, the third-party liability coverage has a $1 million policy limit. Uber also offers uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage that covers drivers when another person is at fault and does not have any or enough insurance or after hit and runs. This policy allows for up to $25,000 per accident. Additionally, if a driver carries collision and comprehensive coverage on their personal policies, Uber offers contingent collision and comprehensive coverage up to the actual cash value of the vehicle.
Lyft’s insurance coverage works similarly, which is why it is so important to talk with our rideshare accident attorneys in Springfield, Illinois if you are hurt in a rideshare car accident. Whether you were the driver, passenger, in another vehicle, or a pedestrian, our attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. will investigate the crash, determine who was at fault, and identify all relevant insurance policies.
What Should I Do if an Uber Driver Hit my Car?
If you were hurt in a car crash, caused by an Uber or another rideshare vehicle, you need to contact a Springfield Uber accident attorney as soon as possible. Accidents involving Uber can result in complicated insurance claims. Rideshare insurance policies only cover accidents and injuries that occur at certain times—when the driver is signed in and working. You need to find out whether the driver was working for Uber at the time or driving for personal reasons. You also need to know whether they had accepted a ride request at the time or not. All of this impacts the possible insurance coverage.
Additionally, whether Uber’s insurance covers the accident or not, you also may need to file a claim against the driver’s personal auto insurance policy. Because you may need to deal with multiple insurers, it is best to have an experienced car accident attorney represent you and fight for you to receive full and fair compensation.
What Should I Do if I Was Injured as an Uber Passenger?
As a passenger in an Uber or Lyft accident, you likely had nothing to do with why the crash occurred. One minute your sitting in the back, waiting to get to your destination, and the next minute you are in a wreck. Naturally, your first question may be whether Uber is liable for accidents and injuries? The answer is that it depends, but typically, Uber’s insurance covers passengers’ bodily injuries. According to Uber, their third-party liability coverage, which covers injuries to passengers, people in other vehicles, and pedestrians, has a $1 million policy limit.
Do not let this high policy limit comfort you just yet. If you were hurt in an Uber, you should work with a Springfield Uber car accident lawyer to ensure you receive appropriate compensation for your injuries. Despite the high limit, Uber’s insurance carrier may still offer a low settlement amount.
What if I Was in an Accident as an Uber Driver?
If you are an Uber or other rideshare driver and you were hurt in a crash, your auto insurance coverage depends on a number of factors, including whether or not you were at fault for the collision.
If another driver was responsible for the collision, talk with our car accident lawyers about pursuing full and fair compensation for your injuries and property damage. Your own auto insurance policy may also provide you with coverage.
However, if you caused the crash, you are in a difficult position. The other driver’s auto insurance will not cover your injuries and property damage. Uber’s policy typically will not cover your damages either unless you had accepted a ride request and you carry your own collision insurance. If you purchase collision insurance for your personal auto policy, then Uber’s contingent collision coverage may kick in. After a $1,000 deductible, Uber’s policy will cover up to the actual cash value of your vehicle no matter who was at fault.
Let a Lawyer Help You Pursue Compensation
It is difficult to tell how many Uber accidents happen per year or how many accidents are caused by Uber drivers. However, what is clear is that Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare vehicles are routinely part of car crashes and passengers, other drivers, and pedestrians are put in a tough position. When you are the one who is inured in an Uber accident, it is up to you to figure out who is responsible, where to file an insurance claim, and how much your injuries are worth. However, you do not have to figure that all out on your own. You can work with a Springfield Uber car accident lawyer who will handle the insurance claim process and any necessary litigation on your behalf. Our experienced and aggressive lawyers will fight hard to obtain compensation for your property damage, medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and more.
At Staver, we have the awards that matter to you.
The Nation’s Top One Percent
The NADC is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence.
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The premier trial lawyers from each state who meet a stringent criteria of success.
Nation’s Premier Top Ten Attorney
A prestigious award, recognizing the nation’s top 1% of personal injury attorneys.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Limited to the best personal injury lawyers with million and multi-million dollar results.
Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
The gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing legal ability and ethical standards.
If you’ve been hurt, it can be hard to know where to start. We begin every case with a free, no-risk evaluation. We’ll discuss your situation, answer your questions, and determine what comes next. Act now and get the recovery you deserve.
P: 217-528-9955Or fill out our online form