Many accident victims are unable to return to work for an extended period of time. It’s important to seek experienced legal help if you are in this situation. You have the right to seek compensation from the negligent party, but the car accident process can become complex and confusing for anyone. Who holds responsibility, and how can you get the financial help you need without delay? Our Springfield car accident lawyers have worked with many families impacted by serious car wrecks. We know how important compensation is for you if you or a loved one have been harmed in an accident.
The Springfield injury lawyers at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have an extensive understanding of Illinois personal injury law. Our firm approaches every case knowing that our clients cannot endure unnecessary delays as they seek damages in their car accident claims. If you would like to speak with an experienced Springfield car accident lawyer today, call our office at (217) 528-9955 or use our online contact form.
I was involved in an accident back in February I retained their services. I was immediately helped professionally by their staff setup for physical therapy. They handled all of my paperwork & correspondence between the insurance company. In as little…
Awesome! Everyone I spoke to at the office was very helpful and my phone calls were returned promptly. I was a pedestrian in a hit and run downtown in August 2018 and within 90 days, Staver Law Group was able…
Staver Law Group did an excellent job with handling my injury case! I sustained minor injuries from an automotive accident. I walked away with about $16,000 after the firm took their share of the $25,000 total settlement. I have no…
Common Types of Car Accidents In Springfield
Central Illinois has many large and small communities served by various different types of roadways. We often have to travel on large highways, busy city boulevards, and country roads all in one afternoon. Numerous people in the Springfield area are unfortunately injured in a car accident every day. Our Springfield car accident attorneys have helped many people recovering from catastrophic or even fatal car accidents. However, we know that serious harm can result from seemingly small accidents. While car collisions are always different, some of the most common wrecks fall into one or several of the following categories:
- Rear-end accidents – You can be severely injured if a careless driver fails to slow down in time and rear-ends your vehicle. Even slow-moving rear-end accidents can cause serious back, neck, and head damage.
- Head-on collisions – These accidents are common especially on small roads or winding roadways found in residential areas. A head-on collision can seriously injure a victim’s joints, and a person can even be ejected from their vehicle in a high-speed head-on impact.
- Turning accidents – Many reckless drivers fail to take necessary precautions when making a left or right turn. You can be caught off guard and in a sudden collision if someone fails to notice you as they make a dangerous turn.
- Rollover accidents – Being hit from any angle can result in your car rolling over on its side or upside down. This can happen at a low speed, and it can result in a difficult time getting to safety and receiving immediate emergency help.
- T-bone collisions – A side impact can be devastating since you may have very little protection from sustaining serious injury. These accidents are common at intersections and in poor weather.
- Truck accidents – There are many large commercial trucks traveling throughout Springfield. These vehicles pose a high risk of injury or death when they are operated by a careless, exhausted, or inexperienced driver.
- Motorcycle accidents – Negligent drivers often do not see motorcycles until it’s too late. Many motorcycle wrecks result in devastating harm to the victims, and it can take especially long for them to fully recover.
Causes Of Car Accidents In Springfield
It’s possible that you know the exact cause of your accident, or perhaps there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding your case. Either way, your Springfield car injury lawyer must be able to demonstrate the exact cause of your wreck. Recovering the damages you need requires illustrating the negligent acts of the responsible party. Our lawyers have investigated many car accidents throughout Illinois. We know how to gather the relevant evidence in your case. This can include traffic and security photos, medical and police reports, witness statements, and even mobile phone data. You cannot prove the other person’s negligence without knowing the exact cause of your accident.
There are countless causes of car accidents in Springfield and throughout Illinois. Drivers often act recklessly, and vehicles are often poorly maintained and not safe to be on the road. Some of the most common causes of car accidents that we have seen include:
- Distracted drivers – A car can travel hundreds of feet in the few seconds that a person takes their eyes off the road. Drivers are constantly distracted by things such as their phones, passengers, and food and drink.
- Defective vehicles – If your car, or that of someone else, is poorly built or maintained, you can suffer a terrible wreck. An experienced car wreck attorney can determine exactly what happened, and who owes you damages.
- Intoxicated drivers – There are many instances of people getting behind the wheel of a car while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. These drivers can have a greatly reduced reaction time, and the often fail to avoid accidents.
- Reckless driving – Many drivers speed and weave through traffic without regard to state laws or the safety of others. Our Springfield car crash lawyers have also seen numerous devastating wrecks caused due to road rage.
Steps To Take After a Car Accident in Springfield
Being in a terrible traffic accident can catch anyone off guard. You can be following the law and driving responsibly, and suddenly be struck by another vehicle. Many accidents result in one or several people being badly hurt. However, it’s common for most people to not be completely certain about what to do after a car accident. The first thing that you have to worry about is your safety and that of your passengers. The scene of a motor vehicle wreck can be a very dangerous place. There may be sharp debris, fast moving traffic passing by, and the potential for a fire or explosion. If possible, it’s important to move to a safe location. While you may not legally be able to leave the scene of your accident, you should seek safety off the road or even in a building. Afterward, be sure to:
- Seek emergency medical help – Your injuries can be severe, and even those that seem light can get much worse over time if not properly treated by medical professionals.
- Cooperate with police – If possible, stay on the scene of your accident and give the police a full report. If you must be rushed to the hospital, your lawyer can make sure that you appropriately follow up with law enforcement.
- Call a lawyer without delay – A Springfield lawyer for car accidents can help you with every step of the car accident process. A knowledgeable lawyer can make sure that you recover all of the financial help that you deserve.
- Make a list of accident details – Writing down a list of events and possible witnesses can help you better remember crucial details as time goes on. Be sure to share this information with your lawyer.
- Follow through on your medical treatment – Getting better requires following your doctor’s orders. Additionally, this can help you as you pursue damages since the court might not feel that your injuries are legitimate if you ignore your medical treatment.
Illinois’ Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents
State law seeks to prevent lawsuits that revolve around injuries that happened in the distant past. Illinois’ statute of limitations law generally does not allow for personal injury claims to be filed after two years have passed since the date of the injury. This is meant to protect defendants from having to mount a defense in a case where evidence has been lost over the passage of many years. Unfortunately, this can prevent you from recovering damages for an otherwise legitimate claim. Waiting for over two years to file a claim for damages after a terrible accident can result in the court dismissing your case for violating the statute of limitations.
Many Springfield Roads Pose Particular Dangers
The roads and highways around Springfield see hundreds of car accidents every year. Many of these collisions cause serious or even fatal injuries to the people involved. While accidents often happen on large roads and highways, many terrible wrecks occur on neighborhood streets with light traffic. This may be due to the fact that drivers often lower their guard and pay less attention on small roads and when they’re close to home. Some of the most dangerous roads and intersections in the Springfield area include:
- Dirksen Parkway – This busy avenue sees large numbers of cars every day, and many accidents happen at its intersections. Dirksen and Sangamon Ave may be the most dangerous intersection in Springfield.
- On or near I-72 – Accidents frequently happen on Interstate 72, or on adjacent roadways. Access ramps to the interstate pose many dangers since drivers often fail to properly adjust their speeds as they enter or exit the highway.
- Veterans Parkway – This road sees high amounts of traffic where people often fail to drive at safe speeds. Accessing smaller roads or Lincoln Capital Airport can be dangerous if other drivers are speeding or distracted.
Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Can Help After a Car Accident
A serious car accident can impact every part of your life. You may have terrible injuries that require extended medical attention. Many who are injured in a car accident require months before they can recover. Some injured accident victims never fully return to normal. Your medical bills can be significant, and it can be difficult to return to work. Illinois law allows you to seek compensation from the negligent party who holds responsibility for your accident. Our Springfield car accident lawyers have helped many families after a terrible traffic wreck. You can recover damages to help with medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, given the Illinois statute of limitations, it’s important to not delay in calling your lawyer. The car accident insurance claims process can be complex, and your lawyer will need time to gather all evidence and build a strong case.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak with a Springfield car crash attorney about your case. Our compassionate and experienced lawyers can help you understand your options for recovery. Call our office today at (217) 528-9955 or use our online contact form to reach out.
At Staver, we have the awards that matter to you.
The Nation’s Top One Percent
The NADC is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence.
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The premier trial lawyers from each state who meet a stringent criteria of success.
Nation’s Premier Top Ten Attorney
A prestigious award, recognizing the nation’s top 1% of personal injury attorneys.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Limited to the best personal injury lawyers with million and multi-million dollar results.
Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
The gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing legal ability and ethical standards.
If you’ve been hurt, it can be hard to know where to start. We begin every case with a free, no-risk evaluation. We’ll discuss your situation, answer your questions, and determine what comes next. Act now and get the recovery you deserve.
P: 217-528-9955Or fill out our online form