A car can show up minutes after you open the app, and these companies also promote safety as a primary feature. Not only is your driver supposedly someone who has passed a background check, but the lack of cash being exchanged can ward off thieves who would attack the driver or passengers. However, with thousands of cars on the road every day, there are unfortunately many Uber and Lyft accidents. Our rideshare accident attorneys understand how difficult a bad collision can be. In addition to having serious injuries, you may be uncertain about who is responsible for compensating you for what’s necessary to get back to normal. Do not hesitate to call a skilled Illinois Lyft and Uber car accident attorney.
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., our Illinois personal injury lawyers have helped countless accident victims through every part of their recovery. While rideshare accidents can result in devastating harm, they are can also lead to complex legal disputes regarding damages.
I was involved in an accident back in February I retained their services. I was immediately helped professionally by their staff setup for physical therapy. They handled all of my paperwork & correspondence between the insurance company. In as little…
After dealing with another law firm that never returned calls or emails and made me feel like I was a bother, I was referred to Staver by a co-worker that had a good experience with them. From my first call…
Awesome! Everyone I spoke to at the office was very helpful and my phone calls were returned promptly. I was a pedestrian in a hit and run downtown in August 2018 and within 90 days, Staver Law Group was able…
I can not say enough good things about Staver and specifically, Patrick. Not only did they have great communication but they handled EVERYTHING including the negotiations with Blue Cross Blue Shield once I received my settlement. They were realistic and…
Staver Law Group did an excellent job with handling my injury case! I sustained minor injuries from an automotive accident. I walked away with about $16,000 after the firm took their share of the $25,000 total settlement. I have no…
Simply amazing. First time dealing with something like this and I couldn’t have asked for anything better. Everyone I spoke to was very kind and genuine. My career requires me being out of town a lot but they were very…
I would like to thank everyone at Staver, I got fast and more than sufficient results without all the hassle and I heard a lot of other people complain about how they had to keep calling there law group and…
I strongly recommend the Staver law team. I had never needed this service before and since day one the team kept me in great hands like trusting your most trusted family member. Explained everything in my terms and My case…
Excellent service & highly recommended. They are very professional. Very great experience.
The service, guidance, and results Patrick Gill of Staver Law offered was of the highest quality. He acted not only as our advocate and leader through life altering events, but as a partner in our circumstance. His commitment, knowledge, and…
Common Causes Of Rideshare Accidents In Illinois
Ordering a rideshare is typically a practical and safe decision. Driving or using public transportation may not be an option and having an Uber or Lyft take you to your destination can also be a wise decision if you are exhausted, distracted, or have been drinking. Even though an Uber can be the safer option, your rideshare is still exposed to all of the dangers of the road.
Rideshare drivers can still make mistakes or act carelessly. Even if your driver does everything right, you can still be in a terrible car accident due to the negligence of someone else.
Some of the most common causes of rideshare car accidents include:
- Fatigue – Rideshare drivers are often on the road for many hours at a time. Even though the Uber or Lyft app may seek to limit their hours, drivers are often on the road after working long hours at another job.
- Drunk driving – Hundreds of people are killed in Illinois every year due to drunk driving. Your rideshare driver can be completely responsible, and yet it still may be impossible to avoid an accident with an intoxicated driver.
- Distracted driving – Rideshare drivers typically use an app to find passengers and get directions to their destinations. Driving can become very dangerous even if someone takes their eyes off the road for just a moment.
- Speeding and aggressive driving – Rideshare drivers earn money based on the number of trips they take in addition to hours and miles driven. This incentive to get as many passengers as possible often results in speeding and dangerous driving.
- Poorly maintained vehicles – Rideshare drivers can put significant miles on their cars in a very short amount of time. Accidents are often caused by cars that were not properly maintained.
- Dangerous hazards on the road – Illinois roads are often undergoing construction or are littered with debris that has negligently been tossed onto the road. An object on the road can catch your driver by surprise and result in a terrible accident.
Rideshare Insurance Policies And Recovering Compensation
Many people who fall victim to a senseless car accident suffer injuries that impact their entire lives. You may require costly medical treatment for an extended period. It’s also common for accident victims to be unable to return to work or school for weeks or even months. People often wonder if you can sue Uber for accidents, and how Uber accident claims work. Insurance companies and state laws generally have a unique approach to ridesharing and responsibility for these accidents. While this can be confusing, a skilled Uber accident lawyer will understand the various policies that come into play:
- Uber or Lyft’s policy – These rideshare companies have policies that will pay up to $1,000,000 if their driver is responsible for an accident that causes your injuries. These policies only apply to accidents that happened when the driver was fulfilling a ride via the app.
- Your driver’s personal insurance policy – Many insurance policies do not cover when a policyholder is driving for a rideshare app. However, if your driver’s personal insurance does cover your accident, you can seek compensation if the rideshare company’s insurance does not apply or is not enough to compensate you for your damages.
- Another driver’s insurance – You can seek compensation from another driver’s insurance if that driver was responsible for your injuries. Uber and Lyft’s $1,000,000 policies can cover your damages if the other responsible driver is uninsured or if you are the victim of a hit and run.
How A Lawyer Can Help If You Are In Rideshare Accident
The most important thing you need to focus on after an accident is your recovery. However, people are generally uncertain about how they will receive the compensation they need after a rideshare accident. Lyft and Uber lawsuits can become very aggressive. The rideshare insurance companies will seek to pay you as little as possible from their $1,000,000 policy. Your driver’s private insurance provider will also work hard to reduce any obligation to pay. Hiring a skilled accident lawyer who is familiar with rideshare claims is extremely important.
The attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have helped many people hurt in an Uber or Lyft accident. We understand how to build a strong case for your recovery, and how to negotiate with the insurance companies for a settlement offer that is enough to help you and your family. Unlike many lawyers, we work closely with our clients’ doctors so that we gain an understanding of the amount of medical attention they will need during their recovery. Our years of courtroom experience can be used to help your case if we need to go to trial and fight for damages there.
With our help, you may recover compensation for:
- Medical and therapy expenses
- Lost income due to your accident
- Disability accommodations for your home or vehicle
- Property damage if a rideshare driver hit your car
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress
Steps To Take If You Are In A Serious Rideshare Accident
The scene of a car accident can be extremely dangerous, even well after the collision has taken place. The most important thing you can do is make sure you are in a safe place. This may require you to leave the vehicle carefully. Do this with extreme care since the road may be littered with sharp debris and other cars may be speeding past. Call for emergency medical help if you or a loved one have been injured. Getting medical attention as soon as possible is essential.
Knowing how to handle a rideshare accident can be difficult, and further steps we recommend include:
- Contact your lawyer without delay – An experienced rideshare lawyer will understand how to work with the rideshare company as well as every insurance provider involved.
- Keep records of everything that applies to your accident – Making a list of events, and possible witnesses can help you remember details later on. Share your records and information with your lawyer to help build a strong case for recovery.
- Keep your doctor informed and ask questions – Make sure your medical professionals understand that your injuries are from a car accident. Ask them for their opinions on when you may be able to resume your former regular activities.
- Do not fall behind on your medical treatment – Failing to follow through on medical needs can hurt your case since the court might not feel as though your injuries are genuine.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. After A Rideshare Accident
Rideshare apps have changed the way we travel. These services can offer significant convenience and are meant to be safe for everyone. There are unfortunately thousands of car accidents across Illinois every month, and many of these involve rideshare vehicles driving for companies such as Uber or Lyft. Being in a serious wreck can be devastating. Your injuries may take a long time to heal, and it might be difficult for life to ever return to normal. Our rideshare accident attorneys understand how important your recovery is for you and your family. We also appreciate how complex it can be if you need to deal with a rideshare company. Given the many parties involved in a rideshare accident, and Illinois’ statute of limitations, we advise you call a knowledgeable lawyer without delay.
The attorneys at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have helped many people recover the damages they need after they have fallen victim to an accident caused by someone else. Contact one of our Uber and Lyft accident attorneys to discuss your case and options going forward.
Call (217) 528-9955 or contact us online to set up a free, initial consultation. We take cases on a contingency basis, so there is no up-front cost and we’ are only paid when you recover compensation.
At Staver, we have the awards that matter to you.
The Nation’s Top One Percent
The NADC is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence.
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The premier trial lawyers from each state who meet a stringent criteria of success.
Nation’s Premier Top Ten Attorney
A prestigious award, recognizing the nation’s top 1% of personal injury attorneys.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Limited to the best personal injury lawyers with million and multi-million dollar results.
Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
The gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing legal ability and ethical standards.
If you’ve been hurt, it can be hard to know where to start. We begin every case with a free, no-risk evaluation. We’ll discuss your situation, answer your questions, and determine what comes next. Act now and get the recovery you deserve.
P: 888-988-7612Or fill out our online form
"*" indicates required fields