Being hit by a truck can result in horrific injuries and even death. Many victims require months or years of medical attention. Do not wait around to call a knowledgeable truck accident lawyer after you or a loved one have been hurt. The trucking companies and their insurance providers will be seeking to pay you as little as possible. Recovering what you need requires skilled truck accident lawyers who understand the complex legal process that follows a bad accident.
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., our Illinois personal injury attorneys know what you are facing, how badly your life may have been impacted, and what it will take to secure your recovery. We have decades of experience and an impressive track record of success in Illinois truck injury claims. Let us help you and your family during this difficult time. We have recovered compensation for countless clients hurt by the careless or negligent actions of others.
Contact us to speak with a knowledgeable truck crash lawyer about your rights and options. Call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. today at (217) 528-9955 or online to schedule a free initial consultation. We don’t charge up-front fees and are only paid when you recover compensation.
Awesome! Everyone I spoke to at the office was very helpful and my phone calls were returned promptly. I was a pedestrian in a hit and run downtown in August 2018 and within 90 days, Staver Law Group was able…
Staver Law Group did an excellent job with handling my injury case! I sustained minor injuries from an automotive accident. I walked away with about $16,000 after the firm took their share of the $25,000 total settlement. I have no…
There Are Many Truck Accidents In Illinois
Large trucks and commercial vehicles are used to transport equipment and products across the country. Truck accidents in Illinois constitute about five percent of vehicle collisions in the state, but each wreck can be particularly dangerous for those involved. There are about 12,000 truck accidents in Illinois every year, and truck driver accident statistics illustrate the dangers of these collisions. The Illinois Department of Transportation reports that about 100 people are killed in fatal truck accidents each year. This accounts for approximately 10 percent of all traffic deaths. However, it is reported that there are about 2,500 people who survive but are left with serious injuries.
As truck accident attorneys with decades of experience, we have helped many families devastated by a terrible truck accident. Every one of these cases is complex and unique. Our trucking accident attorneys know that a terrible wreck can happen anywhere.
Dangerous locations for Illinois truck accidents include:
- Busy highways – Particularly dangerous highways in our area include the Kennedy Expressway, Jane Addams Memorial Tollway, and the Chicago Skyway.
- Industrial or recreation areas – Large trucks often haul equipment to places that are not accessible by large or well-maintained roads. These dangerous roads often lead to waterways, warehouses, and factories.
- Neighborhood and city streets – Trucks have to deliver goods to locations only accessible by smaller roads that may have slow-moving vehicles and pedestrian traffic. People often let their guard down in these areas, causing serious – even fatal truck accidents.
Common Causes Of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are not only common but are very complex from a legal standpoint. It can be hard to know what happened and who was responsible. There are many parties involved, and many ways things can go wrong when a truck is driving near you on the highway or a city street. Your truck accident can be caused by the negligence of the truck driver, the trucking company who owns the vehicle, or even a third party.
Your truck injury lawyer must understand how to investigate these highly involved and technical accidents. There are federal guidelines that govern the trucking industry and by knowing exactly what happened to cause your accident is essential if you are to recover the compensation you need from the responsible parties.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue – Truck drivers are often pushing themselves to cover significant distances without stopping for rest.
- Distracted driving – A driver can be easily distracted by their phone, equipment, or even a passenger in their vehicle.
- Driver intoxication – Many truck drivers are found to have been consuming drugs or alcohol at the time of a crash. This often includes strong prescription medication or excessive use of over-the-counter drugs.
- Improperly trained drivers – Driving a large truck requires special training. Many poorly trained drivers make mistakes that can result in things such as wide turn accidents or override and underride accidents.
- Improper loading – A truck that is overloaded, or loaded in an unbalanced fashion, can tip over causing a serious and even deadly wreck.
- Equipment malfunction – Trucks have thousands of important and unique parts that must be operating to avoid disaster. A defective part can easily result in an accident.
How A Trucking Accident Lawyer Can Help You
A devastating accident can make your life extremely difficult. You or a loved one can be badly injured, and you may not know how long it will take to recover. Furthermore, you may not be able to return to work or school for a long time. Many families affected by serious truck accidents experience financial hardship due to mounting medical bills and lost wages.
Do not hesitate to contact a skilled truck accident lawyer. You have the right to seek recovery, but truck accident cases are usually hard fought by teams of aggressive lawyers and large insurance companies dedicated to paying out as little as possible. You need a knowledgeable and experienced truck accident lawyer working just as hard for you.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires that large trucks have higher insurance coverage since accidents involving these vehicles can be especially destructive. Trucks over 10,000 lbs must have coverage of at least $750,000, and $5,000,000 if they are hauling hazardous materials. These insurance policies are meant to help you if you are injured in an accident due to the negligence of the truck driver or trucking company. However, the insurance companies will aggressively fight to pay out a little as possible. Your injury lawyer must understand how to conduct truck accident investigations. Unlike normal car accident cases, these will involve both federal and state regulations, and will likely require expert witnesses.
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., our skilled truck accident lawyers will:
- Work closely with your doctors – Your recovery is the most important thing, and clearly demonstrating your injuries is necessary if you are to recover adequate compensation.
- Investigate fault in your accident case – Determining who holds responsibility requires collecting and studying all of the evidence available. This includes driver logs, background checks, vehicle maintenance records, accident reconstruction data, and witness statements.
- Negotiate with all parties involved – We have decades of experience negotiating with insurance companies after a vehicle accident. By building a strong case, we can seek a fair financial settlement offer for you and your family.
- Take your case to court if necessary – Your lawyer will fight for what you deserve in court if no acceptable settlement offer is given by the other side. Our lawyers have a formidable reputation in court and considerable trial experience, which insurers take note of.
The Statute Of Limitations For A Truck Accident
It’s important to act without unnecessary delay after your truck accident. Not only do memories fade and evidence goes missing, but the Illinois statute of limitations may prevent you from seeking damages. This law requires claims to be filed within a certain amount of time or else risk being dismissed by the court. These rules are for commencing your action, and it’s not a problem if your lawsuit continues beyond this time limit.
Statute of limitations laws vary, and those that might apply to your case include:
- For personal injury – You have two years after the incident that caused your injury.
- For wrongful death – You can file a wrongful death claim if a close loved one was killed in a truck accident. Your claim must commence within one year of the person’s death or two years after the accident that caused the injuries which later resulted in death.
- For property damage – You have five years to begin a claim for damage done to your car, home, or other property after a truck accident.
Illinois’ statute of limitations law can become complicated quickly, and exceptions may apply. For example, if you were a minor when the accident happened, the statute of limitations can be delayed until after your 18th birthday. Another example would involve delaying the time limit to being only after your injuries could have been noticed. Consulting with an accident attorney will allow you to understand how Illinois’ statute of limitations law will apply to your case.
A Lawyer From Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Can Help
Truck accidents happen every day throughout Illinois. These wrecks are serious, and often have a devastating impact on numerous victims. It’s possible that you or a loved one have been badly injured or even killed. Your truck accident could have been caused by things such as a careless driver, an improperly loaded vehicle, or even debris that was negligently left on the road. Your first step should always be calling a lawyer experienced in truck accidents. These cases are technical, and the other party will likely fight aggressively to reduce any damages they must pay.
The truck accident lawyers with Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have the experience, drive, and passion to protect and assert your right to recover. Let us help you and your family obtain what you need to move on with your life.
Contact us today to speak with a lawyer about your case. Call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. at (217) 528-9955 or submit a request online. We offer free, no-risk consultations to discuss your options, and are only paid when you recover compensation.
At Staver, we have the awards that matter to you.
Jared Staver: Named 2024 SuperLawyer
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement
Tyler Kobylski: Named 2024 SuperLawyer
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
The Nation’s Top One Percent
The NADC is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence.
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The premier trial lawyers from each state who meet a stringent criteria of success.
Nation’s Premier Top Ten Attorney
A prestigious award, recognizing the nation’s top 1% of personal injury attorneys.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Limited to the best personal injury lawyers with million and multi-million dollar results.
Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
The gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing legal ability and ethical standards.
If you’ve been hurt, it can be hard to know where to start. We begin every case with a free, no-risk evaluation. We’ll discuss your situation, answer your questions, and determine what comes next. Act now and get the recovery you deserve.
P: 888-988-7612Or fill out our online form
"*" indicates required fields