It’s often difficult to determine exactly what happened and who holds responsibility. Having an experienced wrongful death attorney can help your family through this difficult time. As experienced Illinois personal injury lawyers, we understand how important it is to know the truth, and what a financial recover means for you and your loved ones. As a wrongful death law firm with an impressive track record of securing justice for Illinois families, our attorneys know how to help and what it takes to put the pieces back together. Do not hesitate to seek skilled legal help and get your questions answered.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak with a knowledgeable and compassionate wrongful death lawyer. Recovering financial compensation for your family is important, but it can be a stressful and complex process for anyone.
To speak with our attorneys, call Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C today at (217) 528-9955 or submit a request online. We offer free, no-risk consultations, and there is no cost to you unless we recover compensation on your behalf.
I was involved in an accident back in February I retained their services. I was immediately helped professionally by their staff setup for physical therapy. They handled all of my paperwork & correspondence between the insurance company. In as little…
After dealing with another law firm that never returned calls or emails and made me feel like I was a bother, I was referred to Staver by a co-worker that had a good experience with them. From my first call…
Awesome! Everyone I spoke to at the office was very helpful and my phone calls were returned promptly. I was a pedestrian in a hit and run downtown in August 2018 and within 90 days, Staver Law Group was able…
I can not say enough good things about Staver and specifically, Patrick. Not only did they have great communication but they handled EVERYTHING including the negotiations with Blue Cross Blue Shield once I received my settlement. They were realistic and…
Staver Law Group did an excellent job with handling my injury case! I sustained minor injuries from an automotive accident. I walked away with about $16,000 after the firm took their share of the $25,000 total settlement. I have no…
Simply amazing. First time dealing with something like this and I couldn’t have asked for anything better. Everyone I spoke to was very kind and genuine. My career requires me being out of town a lot but they were very…
I would like to thank everyone at Staver, I got fast and more than sufficient results without all the hassle and I heard a lot of other people complain about how they had to keep calling there law group and…
I strongly recommend the Staver law team. I had never needed this service before and since day one the team kept me in great hands like trusting your most trusted family member. Explained everything in my terms and My case…
Excellent service & highly recommended. They are very professional. Very great experience.
The service, guidance, and results Patrick Gill of Staver Law offered was of the highest quality. He acted not only as our advocate and leader through life altering events, but as a partner in our circumstance. His commitment, knowledge, and…
Wrongful Death Claims In Illinois
People are often uncertain about defining what constitutes a wrongful death, and about their options going forward. The Illinois Wrongful Death Act (740 ILCS 180) allows for survivors to seek damages from the responsible party. Pursuing damages in civil court can be done whether or not the government conducts a criminal case related to the death. A wrongful death action is appropriate when someone was killed due to the negligent actions or omissions of another person. These legal actions are pursued by a lawyer working on behalf of the deceased individual’s estate or certain close family members.
Possible beneficiaries of an Illinois wrongful death claim include:
- Children (legally adopted or natural born children)
- Siblings if there are no surviving children or spouse
The Wrongful Death Damages Available To Survivors
While we understand that no amount of money can bring your loved one back, financial compensation may be very important to help your family move forward. Many families face serious economic hardships after the sudden death of a parent or child. Burial costs can surprise many people. Furthermore, losing a source of income can make life very challenging. It’s important to not delay in calling a skilled wrongful death lawyer after the untimely passing of a loved one.
At Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., we understand how important financial compensation can be for a family that just lost someone close. We have helped many families in this difficult position, and we can help you recover damages for:
- Funeral costs
- Loss of economic support
- Loss of future inheritance
- Loss of consortium and companionship
- Loss of parental support
- Grief and suffering
There Are Many Causes Of Wrongful Death Lawsuits
We are constantly in danger of falling victim to an accident caused by a negligent or careless person. These incidents happen every day in Illinois, and victims are generally caught totally by surprise. Your family can be devastated if an accident causes serious injury or even death. It’s very common for people to be uncertain about their options when a terrible accident happens. You may not know who is to blame, or even if you or your family are entitled to compensation. Wrongful death claims can be filed against individuals, corporations, and even the government.
Our attorneys sympathize with your position and are here to answer your questions as well as make the process as seamless as we can. We know that you want to find out exactly what happened in the incident that cost you the life of your loved one. If negligence was involved in your loss, we will help determine who is responsible and build the strongest possible case to hold them accountable.
While no two cases are alike, some of the most common causes of wrongful death are:
- Car accidents – Hundreds of people are killed in car wrecks every year in Illinois. A careless person can cause a devastating accident if they are distracted, intoxicated, or driving recklessly.
- Truck accidents – The causes of deadly truck accidents are very complex and highly technical. You need a skilled lawyer to obtain damages in these hard-fought cases.
- Workplace accidents – People are often killed due to inadequate safety measures at their workplace. No matter what your job may be, your employer must take reasonable steps to keep your workplace safe.
- Medical malpractice – Medical professionals must provide a certain level of care to patients. Unfortunately, people are often killed by careless or unprofessional medical staff.
- Defective products – A poorly made or assembled product can kill someone even if it is properly used. Winning damages in these cases requires legal counsel that can analyze highly technical evidence in your case.
How A Lawyer Can Help if A Loved One Is Killed In An Accident
When a close family member is suddenly taken, it’s very common for people to be uncertain about what steps to take next. You’ll already be dealing with a considerable amount of stress, but a skilled wrongful death lawyer can alleviate a lot of your anxiety and find many of the answers you need.
For instance, the insurance companies will want to end your case quickly, before paying out a large financial settlement. Your lawyer must have experience negotiating with other lawyers and insurance providers while investigating all of the details involved to build a strong case for recovery.
The Illinois courts also consider compensation for different types of surviving beneficiaries. For example, a spouse or minor child of the deceased may be entitled to more in damages than a sibling or adult child. This is based on the survivors’ relationship and dependence on the person who was tragically killed. A skilled wrongful death lawyer will gather sufficient evidence to clearly illustrate your need for adequate compensation.
When pursuing wrongful death settlements, Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C., will help you deal with every aspect of the process, including:
- Complying with law enforcement – We will make sure that the police have all the necessary information for any investigations that they are pursuing. Having police records can greatly help us build a strong case for damages.
- Investigating all parties involved – It’s important to determine exactly what parties may hold responsibility for your loved one’s death. Liable people or companies typically do not voluntarily offer information that might result in them having to pay you damages.
- Negotiating with insurance companies – Every insurance company involved will have their own lawyers seeking to reduce any amount of money they pay out to victims. We will make sure you and your family recover the level of compensation they deserve.
- Prepare your case for court – You will not receive a fair settlement offer if the other side does not feel as though your lawyer is willing or able to take your case to court. We have decades of successful trial experience, and will aggressively pursue the best possible outcome.
Illinois Wrongful Death Statute Of Limitations
It’s important to act fast and speak with a lawyer if a loved one is killed in a senseless accident. The Illinois Wrongful Death Act requires that claims be filed within two years of the person’s death, or else they likely will be thrown out before damages can be awarded. It may feel as though two years is plenty of time to consider your options, but these cases are hard fought and are often highly technical. Your lawyer will have to gather significant amounts of evidence, and probably consult with expert witnesses. That is why we encourage you to call a skilled wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your situation and options going forward.
Statute of limitations law can be complex, but there are numerous exceptions to the two-year limit to file. These exceptions are meant to provide fairness to all parties, no matter what the situation may be. Exceptions that might apply to your case can include:
- The survivor was a minor – Sometimes the family member left behind is a minor who does not have a guardian or representative to seek damages on their behalf. If this is the case, the two year limit on a claim can be delayed until the minor turns 18.
- There is a criminal case ongoing – The state may be pursuing a criminal action related to the death of your loved one, and this can tie up evidence related to your wrongful death suit. A court will often allow for an extension to the two year limit in this situation.
- New evidence comes to light – Crucial evidence may not be available for many reasons. If such evidence surfaces after several years, the court may allow an exception to the statute of limitations in your case.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Now
Losing a loved one in an accident is devastating for your entire family. Unfortunately, these deadly accidents happen frequently throughout Illinois. Cook County alone experiences almost one deadly car accident every day. There are many ways that a close family member can be suddenly taken away from you. Our wrongful death lawyers have helped many people affected by fatal accidents in the workplace, by defective products, and due to the careless use of vehicles or equipment. Do not delay in calling a lawyer if a close loved one was the victim of a senseless, deadly accident. You have rights and options to consider.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak with a skilled wrongful death lawyer. We know how Illinois law will apply to your case, can help you get the closure you need, and recover what’s right.
At Staver, we have the awards that matter to you.
The Nation’s Top One Percent
The NADC is dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence.
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The premier trial lawyers from each state who meet a stringent criteria of success.
Nation’s Premier Top Ten Attorney
A prestigious award, recognizing the nation’s top 1% of personal injury attorneys.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Limited to the best personal injury lawyers with million and multi-million dollar results.
Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
The gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing legal ability and ethical standards.
If you’ve been hurt, it can be hard to know where to start. We begin every case with a free, no-risk evaluation. We’ll discuss your situation, answer your questions, and determine what comes next. Act now and get the recovery you deserve.
P: 888-988-7612Or fill out our online form
"*" indicates required fields