October 28, 2019
Long Term Cost of a TBI
Posted in: Personal Injury
Recovering from a serious injury is difficult for every accident victim. Every aspect of your life can be affected. A traumatic brain injury can have life-long consequences for you and your family. The medical attention that you need may continue months or years. Some people with brain injuries will never fully recover for the rest of their lives.
You have the right to seek financial damages from those who hold responsibility for your injuries. However, the other parties will aggressively fight to pay you as little as possible. You must have an experienced attorney working on your side. Our team has helped many accident victims with catastrophic injuries. We know that it’s important to investigate all the details of your injury so that we can fully understand the long term costs that you are facing.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak with a Chicago accident lawyer who has recovered damages for many accident victims. We know how difficult your life can be after a brain injury. Call our office today at (217) 528-9955 or use our online contact form.
Hospital Bills For TBI Add Up Very Quickly
A person suffering from a brain injury must put all their effort towards getting better. However, it’s impossible to ignore the mounting medical bills that accumulate during the course of your recovery. The particular damage that you may have after a serious head or neck injury can be very sensitive. Your spinal cord and brain become vulnerable when medical professionals are operating on them. The National Institute of Health has found that on average medical bills for TBI are about 30% higher than other injuries that require months or years of medical treatment.
Damage to your nervous system might never heal back to normal, and victims often need ongoing help even after leaving the hospital. Costs for TBI treatment vary greatly. You may be able to engage in many normal daily activities over time, or you may have a very challenging time returning to normal. Research by Northwestern University has found that lifetime costs of a brain injury are estimated to run between $85,000 and $3,000,000. The care that you need may include:
- Surgeries – Many people suffering from TBI need numerous surgical procedures. This includes both emergency operations as well as surgeries in the months and years following a brain injury.
- Physical therapy – Damage to your brain or nervous system can cause mobility issues that may be present for the rest of your life. Since damage is often permanent, extended physical therapy can greatly help improve the quality of your life.
- Emotional therapy – Victims of serious accidents that cause TBI will in many cases suffer from emotional distress that can make many routine things extremely difficult. Ongoing therapy for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can provide help to those who have survived violent accidents.
- Mobility equipment needs – Those suffering from brain injuries will in many cases need special equipment to help them perform routine daily tasks. This can include equipment to help you walk or even drive your car.
How A Lawyer Can Help You After A TBI
Life can be chaotic for you and your family in the aftermath of a serious injury. It’s important to make sure that you get enough emergency medical attention, but you also have to consider the long term future. Insurance providers may try and get you to quickly accept a financial settlement offer. Generally these offers are not sufficient to take care of your long term needs, and the insurance provider is simply trying to end your case before it gets too expensive for them. You have the right to speak with a lawyer and reject an offer from an insurance company. A knowledgeable lawyer will understand how your medical needs may continue for months or years after suffering from a TBI.
Our brain injury attorneys seek to fully understand the needs of our clients. It would not be possible to seek adequate financial damages if we fail to grasp how your injury has impacted every aspect of your life. Every case is different, but our legal team is prepared to do the following after your TBI:
- Consult with your doctors – In order to know the long term costs of your medical needs, your attorney must work closely with your medical providers. Demonstrating these costs is necessary if you are to recover compensation in a legal claim.
- Negotiating with the insurance companies – The other side will only give you a fair settlement offer if they know that you are represented by a skilled attorney who can build a strong case.
- Win in court – While most cases settle before going to court, your legal counsel must be prepared to go to trial and prove your damages there. Our attorneys have years of successful trial experience on behalf of our clients.
A Lawyer From Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Can Help You
Traumatic brain injuries will often entirely change a victim’s life. In addition to significant medical bills, you may not be able to return to work for a long time. Furthermore, your earning capacity may be greatly reduced when you are finally able to get back to work. Do not hesitate to contact a skilled injury lawyer. Your lawyer must investigate the cause of your injuries as well as how much they will cost you over the long term. This is the only way to successfully recover the necessary financial damages you need from the party responsible for your injury. Illinois’ strict statute of limitations will prevent you from filing a claim for damages once two years have passed since your accident. Your case can be very complex, and it’s important to not delay in seeking experienced legal help.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to speak with a skilled traumatic brain injury lawyer today. You can call our office in Chicago at (217) 528-9955 or use our online contact form.