October 3, 2019
When to Reject an Insurance Settlement Offer
Posted in: Car Accidents, Personal Injury
The life of an accident victim can become very difficult and chaotic after sustaining serious injuries. You may need significant medical attention, and it can be challenging to do things you once took for granted. Accidents can leave the injured with mounting medical bills while also preventing them from going back to work and earning a living.
Receiving an insurance payment can be of great help to you and your family during this difficult time. However, it’s common for insurance companies to present victims with settlement offers that fall far short of their financial obligations. You have the right to reject an insurance settlement offer. Do not hesitate to seek legal counsel that is experienced in negotiating with insurance companies on behalf of injury victims.
The legal team at Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. have represented many Illinois accident victims over the years. We understand how stressful and complex your life can become after sustaining a terrible injury. Contact us to speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney about how we can help you recover the insurance settlement that you and your family deserve. Call our office today at (217) 528-9955 or use our online contact form.
Consider All Of The Damages That You Will Have After Your Accident
A terrible accident can sideline you for a long time, and it can impact much more than just your health. In addition to serious medical problems, you can miss a great deal of work or school. Many people think only about the costs of medical bills and property damage that occurs in the immediate aftermath of a wreck. However, your financial setback can affect your life for many months or even years in the future.
Our firm has worked with many people injured in work, recreational, or auto accidents. We understand that it’s necessary to consider not just your current expenses, but the long term damages that will burden you and your family. These can include the following:
- Medical bills – Along with emergency hospital bills, you may require ongoing doctors’ visits and procedures.
- Lost wages – It’s possible that your injury can keep you out of work for a long time. You have the right to seek compensation for earnings lost due to an accident caused by someone else.
- Rehabilitation needs – Your injuries may make extended physical therapy a necessity.
- Emotional distress – Those who are harmed in a devastating and violent accident can suffer from emotional distress that requires therapy. This is often diagnosed as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Property damage – An auto wreck can leave you with many thousands of dollars in repair bills. You and your family may rely on your car for getting to work or school.
How A Lawyer Can Help You
While you have the right to reject an insurance settlement offer, you may not know what to do next. Having an experienced injury lawyer is essential in making sure you recover the compensation you deserve. People are often surprised and uncertain about what to do when their own insurance company offers them a disappointing settlement after an accident. Every insurance company is seeking to reduce their liability to pay damages. Their goal is to end your case quickly while also spending as little money as possible. Given their extensive resources, it’s important that you have a skilled attorney working for you.
After seeking emergency medical attention, be sure to call a knowledgeable accident attorney without delay. Our office has represented many injury victims, and we can do the following in your case:
- Review your injuries – A strong case for adequate damages requires knowing exactly what harm you sustained. Our firm works closely with doctors and medical professionals to understand the ongoing medical costs of our clients.
- Negotiate for a fair settlement – A low settlement offer from the insurance companies can be considered the beginning of negotiations. Your lawyer must know how to build a strong case that convinces the insurance company to pay a fair settlement in order to avoid trial.
- Win at trial – Our attorneys have years of successful trial experience. We are ready to take your case to court and recover damages there if you do not receive a fair settlement offer.
Illinois Statute Of Limitations Requires You To Act Without Delay
Illinois has a strict statute of limitations that requires accident victims to file a claim for damages within two years or possibly lose the right to sue for compensation. Our accident lawyers know that an unacceptable insurance offer must be rejected without delay. Waiting too long can leave your legal counsel with insufficient time to properly investigate your case and recover an acceptable payment for damages. The insurance companies know that the statute of limitations can put additional pressure on you to accept a low offer.
Calling an experienced lawyer can help you understand if an exception to the statute of limitations law applies to your case. For example, the statute of limitations can be postponed to begin at a later date if you were unable to notice the injuries caused by the other party. However, this exception may not be available to you if the court finds that you should have reasonably been expected to notice the harm you sustained. Our legal team can review your case and determine how our state’s statute of limitations will apply.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. Today
You and your family cannot wait around for an insurance company to adjust their settlement offer in your favor. You may have growing medical bills, and it might be impossible to return to work for some time. Your lawyer can help you understand your ongoing financial needs, and if you should reject an insurance settlement offer that is too low. Given Illinois’ statute of limitations law, we encourage you to contact an experienced accident injury lawyer today. We have negotiated on behalf of many clients, and we understand how important a reasonable settlement offer is during this difficult time.
Contact Staver Accident Injury Lawyers, P.C. to discuss your case with one of our attorneys. Call our office today at (217) 528-9955 or use our online contact form.